West Northumberland Food Bank (WNFB) are looking for a Treasurer to join the Board of Trustees in April 2020
WNFB have been working to alleviate Poverty since 2013 by:
- Providing free food and household essentials
- Targeting support to address the causes/effects of poverty
- ·Working with others to reduce poverty
We are based in Hexham and have 3 part time staff and 35 Volunteers in a variety of roles:
Targeted Support Workers who managed around 400 requests for help a month from people experiencing poverty visiting our Food Banks in Hexham, Prudhoe and Haltwhistle before the Covid-19 pandemic, they now staff a daily helpline and have dealt with over 3000 calls since March 2020.
Logistics Team who collect, sort and pack donations into around 150 food parcels a week, they have made around 2400 doorstep deliveries since the pandemic started doorstep deliveries across 14 towns and villages.
Admin Team: We also have Volunteers in Data Entry helping us measure poverty and in Bookkeeping
Trustees meet monthly and take an active role in the Charity (CIO), each Trustee builds on their own experience and skills to lead on certain functions for example HR, Marketing, Strategic Planning and Income Generation.
Our income comes mainly from public donations, private donors and Gift Aid and our finances in a healthy position.
We are passionate about developing our services in ways that meet the needs of people experiencing poverty without judgement, that empower people and restore their dignity, that remove shame and build solidarity.
We are looking for someone who shares our ethos and wants to help combat poverty in our communities. Someone who is financially trained (ideally a chartered accountant) with at least 3 years’ experience of UK accounting, Trustee experience is not essential. We are looking for someone who can work remotely, ideally familiar with MS Teams, and modern accounting software. The role involves working closely with our Bookkeeper and Project manager who manage the day to finances.
Key responsibilities of the Treasurer:
- Overseeing and approving accounts, budgets and financial statements
- Ensuring financial resources meet the current and future needs of the organisation
- Ensuring the organisation has an appropriate reserves policy
- Preparing and presenting financial reports to the board
- Ensuring appropriate accounting and control procedures are in place
- Liaising with any paid staff and volunteers about financial matters
- Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans
- Ensuring the organisation’s compliance with legislation
- Monitoring investment activity to ensure its consistency with the organisation’s
- Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the AGM (Annual General Meeting)